Trap Quest Release 11 Version 4.0
This blog post's banner image comes from the art by Relyet that accompanies the new Extra Credit zone joint predicament (currently only accessible to Alpha Testers).
It seems like a lot of us might be stuck indoors for the foreseeable, so here's a little something to help:
This version (and any fixes) treats all users as beta testers.
That means you'll be able to use undo and access a few other things too (not including the Strateg version which is still completely exclusive to patrons).
If this new version feels a bit light on content that's because some of the things I tried to implement this month turned out to be much more challenging to get right than expected, and also my IRL has been a bit nuts this last month. Sorry!
How to Download:
On Windows? There's now an executable launcher, made by area57. It'll download the latest version of the game for you and lets you start a game with a single click of a button. Oh, and every time you open it, it'll check if there's a new version, and you'll be able to update to the new version from within the launcher! Just download the executable from here, and then run it: https://cloud.area57.info/index.php/s/TQLauncher/download
It should install locally to your user, and therefore not need any admin permissions.
This launcher is in alpha - we're still ironing out the kinks so there's still a decent chance it won't work for you. Also some people using Windows Defender will find that its overzealous attitude to protection incorrectly flags the executable as malware.
If you're not on Windows, can't get the launcher working, or are paranoid about running an executable from some random lewd internet game website, then read on.
There are 4 different versions because there are 4 different publicly available character windows you can use. Previews of the different versions' Character Windows can be seen here
The versions with the 5th window, the Strateg window, are available from my Patreon posts.
Uncompressed gblorb files generously hosted by area57 (427MB to 458MB): These links will be published some time in the future - server priority is being given to those using the launcher to minimise issues.
Trap Quest was created with Inform. To play a work like this one, you need an interpreter program: many are available, Windows Git is strongly recommended for any machine that can run it, this includes Macs - you should use WINE. If you're having trouble consult this page.
- There might be some issue with an assembly triggering but then nothing happening. If this happens to you, I'd love to get a save file.
- Opening Git.exe and then selecting the file seems to cause a 'Can't open gamefile' error for some users. However, double-clicking on the Gblorb file itself in Windows Explorer and then opening it with Git.exe that way seems to work fine. I believe this weird issue is just due to the huge filesize of the game file.
- I'm getting reports that updating to the latest version of the MacBook operating system loses support for WINE. If this is the case for you, I'm afraid you'll need to run Windows in a Virtual Machine or otherwise fully emulate Windows to play Trap Quest on your computer.
- I'm getting reports of spontaneous crashes in Gargoyle. Use it at your own risk. If you do, it's strongly recommended to use roguelike saving.
- Aika: [Lactation or alcohol] New sapphire lesson - russian roulette drinks. You'll take turns drinking water, (if enabled) milk or (if enabled) alcohol, until either you or your opponent gets the forfeit shot which increases humiliation and sex addiction. As long as you don't back out, you get promoted.
- Aika: A new icon (squinty eyes) lets you know when something is only partially visible.
- Partially visible clothes have 70% of their usual sluttiness rating.
- Body parts all have their own unique functions for deciding exactly how much the partial concealment effects their appearance ratings.
- Aika: Worked on the 'sinful priestess' class you get for losing your virginity as the priestess.
- Used condoms pinned to your runic headband now appear on the artwork.
- The class now has two unique outfits - a leotard-thing with a cape that you get when you first become the sinful priestess, and a small top + skirt combo that you get if you get some semen in your pussy but not enough to trigger the fail condtion. Each of these items can be transformed once.
- Aika: If a student gets really really upset with you (mostly happens from patron-only Extra Credit scenes for now), then you can get an assembly the next time you return to the school, where the student reports you to the headmistress who sends you to the dungeon.
- Aika: You no longer can be late for a lesson due to time spent in the Slut School dungeon.
- Aika: Wearing cursed undies now shrinks your penis / grows your hips when worn as opposed to regularly over time. Similarly for bras and breast size.
- Aika: Further attempts to make bras more desirable to wear:
- They can no longer rip and destroy your tops when they burst off of you when your boobs get too big.
- Aika: [Inflation] Trying to make it less annoying and more fun.
- Being low weight (but not floating) no longer decreases combat damage (so the main downsides are now increased appearance rating and burst bras & corsets).
- Inflation decays approximately three times as slowly.
- You can no longer pop from your belly being inflated too far.
- Aika: [Artificial Enhancements] Fixed a bug where the throne cutting off the player's hair would cut it to the wrong length if the player had hair extensions.
- Aika: Fixed an error caused by trying to drink from unique sources such as the squeezy bottle while having high semen taste addiction.
- Aika: Fixed a bug where rescuing the princess before discovering the hotel or the mansion caused a game crash.
- Aika: Several other game bugs I kind of forgot to document as I went. Well, at least I didn't forget about the Iron Fleet...
- Aika: The Extra Credit Zone is now significantly larger to allow for more interesting decisions about where to walk (especially if there's certain places you have to visit before you can leave) and a more reasonable chance of avoiding a lot of people.
- Aika: Also, I didn't like how the best strategy before going into the zone was to wear as many items as possible to identify them since they were all about to be removed anyway. So now, every cursed item that is removed by entering the zone steals 1 strength. This strength is returned when the item is worn again.
- Aika: Started implementing an idea I had for the player to be able to use their arms to partially conceal their most humiliating parts, and whenever they perform an action that requires their arms, these parts become momentarily fully visible.
- The idea was that this would be an optional alternative mode - you have the advantage of a new way to slightly cover yourself up but the disadvantage of some kind of more punishing inventory limit.
- However I'm finding it extremely tricky to implement elegantly and even more extremely difficult to balance with existing game mechanics and game flow.
- So instead of this being an alternative mode, for now it's a feature that is active only when you are in the Extra Credit Zone. This should make it easier to code for now (much less various possibilities I need to consider) but you can still test it for me and give me feedback on how it feels.
- Aika: New sapphire or emerald joint predicament - an innocent game of football (soccer)!
- There's devices in both your unremovable gloves and unremovable vibrators which detect distance from the football. The closer your vibrators, the more powerful they get.
- Your gloves getting too close (to disallow picking it up) or the ball getting too far away (two to three rooms) makes you lose, which sets the vibrator to maximum and makes it fill your pants with cum.
- You're wearing slutty football outfits, so many bystanders will be unimpressed.
- Orgasms will delay movement of both you and your opponent. So having extended possession of the ball without actually winning is bad.
- Your opponent may be hesitant to move into locations with lots of bystanders.
- Aika: New debug command "joint predicament with [student]" to enter a two-person predicament with them (if one exists for your rank and state).
- Aika: Fixed a bug with the maths extra credit lesson when on the easiest difficulty.
- Aika: Fixed a bug where you could remove the painted cutoffs.