Trap Quest Release 11 Version 4.0 Hotfix
This blog post's banner image comes from the art by Wishberri that accompanies the new Extra Credit zone predicament (currently only accessible to Alpha Testers).
As promised, this hotfix still treats all users as beta testers. See the main changelist for more details.
There's also a cheeky bit more actual content that I finally got working well.
How to Download:
On Windows? There's now an executable launcher, made by area57. It'll download the latest version of the game for you and lets you start a game with a single click of a button. Oh, and every time you open it, it'll check if there's a new version, and you'll be able to update to the new version from within the launcher! Just download the executable from here, and then run it: https://cloud.area57.info/index.php/s/TQLauncher/download
It should install locally to your user, and therefore not need any admin permissions.
This launcher is in alpha - we're still ironing out the kinks so there's still a decent chance it won't work for you. Also some people using Windows Defender will find that its overzealous attitude to protection incorrectly flags the executable as malware.
If you're not on Windows, can't get the launcher working, or are paranoid about running an executable from some random lewd internet game website, then read on.
There are 4 different versions because there are 4 different publicly available character windows you can use. Previews of the different versions' Character Windows can be seen here
The versions with the 5th window, the Strateg window, are available from my Patreon posts.
Uncompressed gblorb files generously hosted by area57 (427MB to 458MB): These links will be published some time in the future - server priority is being given to those using the launcher to minimise issues.
Trap Quest was created with Inform. To play a work like this one, you need an interpreter program: many are available, Windows Git is strongly recommended for any machine that can run it, this includes Macs - you should use WINE. If you're having trouble consult this page.
- Opening Git.exe and then selecting the file seems to cause a 'Can't open gamefile' error for some users. However, double-clicking on the Gblorb file itself in Windows Explorer and then opening it with Git.exe that way seems to work fine. I believe this weird issue is just due to the huge filesize of the game file.
- I'm getting reports that updating to the latest version of the MacBook operating system loses support for WINE. If this is the case for you, I'm afraid you'll need to run Windows in a Virtual Machine or otherwise fully emulate Windows to play Trap Quest on your computer.
- I'm getting reports of spontaneous crashes in Gargoyle. Use it at your own risk. If you do, it's strongly recommended to use roguelike saving.
Main Changelist: https://trapquest.com/2020/03/15/trap-quest-release-11-version-4-0/
- Aika: More work on boobs and bras:
- The rate at which having large breasts reduces your slap damage (assuming you haven't learned the skill from the gladiator) has been almost doubled.
- Wearing a bra reduces this penalty by a fixed value (known as the bra's "support" rating) and also reduces it further if the bra has a positive magic modifier.
- If the bra is much too big then it won't support your boobs.
- Bikinis only have a support value of 1, and most other bras (i.e. not the cupless ones) have a support of between 2 and 4.
- Aika: Modified the Encased in Latex start option to no longer make all your clothing cursed or glued but instead give you the black hood (which prevents you removing latex items, and requires you to not purposefully wear or remove any clothing for a while).
- [Alpha Testers] You can't access the extra credit zone while wearing the black hood.
- Aika: [Lactation] If game hates you is disabled, milk summoned into cups when you trip and spill a drink will count as having come from your butt, so royal slaves will be allowed to serve it to NPCs.
- Aika: Fixed two bugs with the 'furious student' assembly where the mean students would be furious right from the start, and also sometimes the assembly wouldn't happen properly due to overzealous failsafes that make the assembly stop short if the player is deemed to be 'in combat'.
- Aika: Fixed a bug where the lake monster could react (with speech and everything!) to the player expelling stuff from their butt.
- Aika: A new sapphire or emerald predicament - you're sitting on a park bench with the drain of a nearby water fountain connected directly to the enema nozzle you are sitting on.
- You can stand up whenever you want but then everyone in the queue will see you and what you're wearing and what you've been sitting on.
- The queue gets smaller over time but as people use the fountain, your belly is getting filled up with water.
- The more filled up your belly is, the quicker it'll all come back out when you finally do stand up.
- Aika: A new icon will be active in the character window when you're in an Extra Credit lesson which reminds you of the details of your current predicament.
- Aika: Fixed a bug with the bottom left corner of the Extra Credit Zone map where you couldn't walk between the park and the road.
- Aika: Fixed a bug where when you walk into the final room of the Extra Credit Zone (this room is flagged as having the new 'limited arms' feature disabled), the allocation of your arms doesn't get reset and so you could get semi-permanently stuck without the use of your arms as you re-enter the main game.