Trap Quest Release 12 Version 2.0 Hotfix
This post's banner image is from the new alpha-tester only clothing window, showcasing the new commando outfit which allows the player to sneak through the woods in stealth mode.
Just a small hotfix, because that's all Aika has had time for. Sorry for any other bugs that didn't get splatted this time!
How to Download
On Windows? There's now an executable launcher, made by area57. It'll download the latest version of the game for you and lets you start a game with a single click of a button. Oh, and every time you open it, it'll check if there's a new version, and you'll be able to update to the new version from within the launcher! Just download the executable from here, and then run it: https://omega.area57.cloud/index.php/s/AyjTdpf5zxXNJai/download
You'll need around 500MB of free space for when it downloads the game file.
To use the Clothing window with the launcher, you currently need to download the game file separately (see below) and then use the sideload functionality by pressing F12.
This launcher is in alpha - we're still ironing out the kinks so there's still a decent chance it won't work for you. Also some people using Windows Defender will find that its overzealous attitude to protection incorrectly flags the executable as malware.
If you're not on Windows, can't get the launcher working, or are paranoid about running an executable from some random lewd internet game website, then read on.
There are 5 different versions because there are 5 different publicly available character windows you can use. Previews of the different versions' Character Windows can be seen here
The versions with the 6th window, the Clothing window, are available from my Patreon posts.
Trap Quest was created with Inform. To play a work like this one, you need an interpreter program: many are available, Windows Git is strongly recommended for any machine that can run it. Another interpreter called Gargoyle is available on multiple platforms but is more prone to crashes. If you're having trouble consult this page.
- Opening Git.exe and then selecting the file seems to cause a 'Can't open gamefile' error for some users. However, double-clicking on the Gblorb file itself in Windows Explorer and then opening it with Git.exe that way seems to work fine. I believe this weird issue is just due to the huge filesize of the game file.
- I'm getting reports that updating to the latest version of the MacBook operating system loses support for WINE. If this is the case for you, I'm afraid you'll need to run Windows in a Virtual Machine or otherwise fully emulate Windows to play Trap Quest on your computer using the recommended Windows Git. Your other option is to try Gargoyle (see here).
- I'm getting reports of spontaneous crashes in Gargoyle. Use it at your own risk. If you do, it's strongly recommended to use roguelike saving.
- There's a known uncommon issue where an icon that is supposed to be rendered in the corner of an item is instead repeatedly rendered in the main narration window, about twice per second. Investigations are still ongoing but we believe this is the work of magic gremlins.
- Aika: Other 'players' (the patron-created NPCs) still have default conversation for now but for now at least no longer call themselves "Generic the NPC" when asked who they are.
- Aika: Fixed a bug where the first turn of a Normal Start showed several errors relating to trying to access entries in an empty list.
- Aika: Fixed a bug where indirect presenting (writing "present / suggest [body part]" without specifying an NPC) was broken and just gave a confusing error message about playing the wrong game.
- Aika: Fixed a discrepancy between the description and image of the cat & bird tattoo.