Trap Quest Release 14 Version 4.0 Hotfix
There was one glaring issue!
Christmas version is still enabled by default, so for those of you who have had a busy Christmas so far, but now finally have some time on your hands, this is the perfect way to extend the festive vibe all the way to New Year's Eve.
How to Download - Newbies on Windows
If you're brand new, on Windows, and either not very good with computers or just don't want to make any decisions on graphics version right now, download this zip file, which contains both the game file and the program needed to run it.
After you've extracted your zip file, all you need to do is open git.exe and then select the file starting with TrapQuest to run the game.
How to Download - Everyone Else
Trap Quest was created with Inform. To play a work like this one, you need to download two different things:
1) A glulxe interpreter program (you open this program and then select the game file): many are available, Windows Git is strongly recommended for any machine that can run it (if your overzealous antivirus has a problem with area57's improved speed version, there's an older official version here). Another interpreter called Gargoyle is available on multiple platforms but is more prone to crashes. If you're having trouble consult this page.
2) The game file: This file will end in '.gblorb' and will be around 550MB large (there's a lot of images in this game!). There are 4 different versions because there are 4 different publicly available character windows you can use.
If you're new and struggling to choose which version to try, Aika personally recommends Danaume. It's the original, classic TQ artwork, and focuses on character body state rather than worrying about trying to represent odd random things from the surrounding environment.
You can download the version of your choice from the links below.
- Updating to the latest version of the MacBook operating system no longer supports WINE. If this is the case for you, I'm afraid you'll need to run Windows in a Virtual Machine or otherwise fully emulate Windows to play Trap Quest on your computer using the recommended Windows Git. Your other option is to try Gargoyle (see here).
- In some interpreters, on some people's computers, with some of the more complex character windows (mainly Wonderfuller and Clothing), undo is failing to work because the interpreter's undo buffer isn't large enough to handle the game.
- Fixed a bug where interested NPCs no longer followed you from room to room.
- Fixed a bug where the ornate latex dress had no text shortcut (and therefore could not be clicked in the GUI).